Founded in 1975, Legal Services for Children (“LSC”) is one of the country’s first non-profit law firms dedicated to providing free legal representation and social work services to children. Our mission is to ensure that all children in the San Francisco Bay Area are raised in a safe environment with equal access to a meaningful education and other services that are necessary to thrive and grow.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Review of candidates will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. NOTE: Our office is currently closed due to the shelter in place orders. Although we may conduct interviews by Zoom, the position would not start until our office has re-opened.
ABOUT THE POSITION
LSC seeks an attorney to represent children in immigration proceedings. Clients will be living in the community in the Bay Area. Clients are primarily monolingual Spanish speakers. We welcome applicants at all levels and provide opportunities for training and leadership.
· Conducting legal screenings, client interviews, and factual and legal investigations, counseling clients, developing case strategies and case plans, and engaging in oral and written advocacy as part of representing children in immigration matters (primarily SIJS, Asylum, U and T visa cases)
· Representing children in immigration matters, including Immigration Court proceedings and related state court matters (probate and dependency as needed), as well as applications before U.S. Citizenship & Immigration Services (USCIS) and cases before Board of Immigration Appeals (BIA)
· Engaging in advocacy efforts on behalf of children, including conducting community presentations for children, families, schools, and community organizations
· Representing LSC in local coalitions and collaboratives as needed
· Supervising legal interns
· Member in good standing of the State Bar of California. Candidates who sat for the February Bar are welcome to apply. Hire will be contingent on Bar passage.
· Spanish fluency is required
· Experience in the practice of immigration law
· Demonstrated commitment to the rights of children and experience working with children who have experienced trauma
· Ability to work efficiently and effectively under pressure and in crisis situations
· Well-organized, motivated, creative, and independent, yet also able to work in a team-oriented environment
· Commitment to providing culturally competent services
· Excellent verbal, interpersonal, writing, and interviewing skills
Salary & Benefits:
Starting salary is $63,000 and commensurate with experience. Benefits include fully paid health insurance (medical, dental, and vision), retirement savings contribution, and generous paid leave (vacation, sick, holiday, and sabbatical). LSC offers a flexible spending account for qualified health expenses.
This position is in a bargaining unit represented by IFPTE Local 20.
APPLICATION PROCESS Please send cover letter, resume, brief writing sample, and contact information for three references to [email protected], with “Immigration Staff Attorney” in the subject line. In your cover letter, please address the following in order for your application to be considered: LSC’s clientele is extremely diverse, and the majority of our clients are low income youth of color. To ensure that our agency is best serving these children, LSC strives to promote an evolving set of behaviors and attitudes amongst our staff, as well as policies that enable us to work effectively in all cross-cultural situations, with clients, with our coworkers, and with the community. We see this as a commitment to enhance the provision of our services to all clients; to raise the level of positive client outcomes; and to create an inclusive and respectful workplace in which differences are acknowledged and valued. How do you think your personal background or experiences, professional or otherwise, have prepared you to contribute to our commitment to cultural humility and diversity amongst our staff? Feel free to think broadly about your response to this question, applying various aspects of your life and personal experiences.
To promote social justice and best serve our clients, LSC is committed to maintaining a diverse staff and providing culturally competent services. We strongly encourage candidates from traditionally underrepresented communities and historically oppressed groups including People of Color and LGBTQ individuals to apply. Bilingual/bicultural candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.