Position: Workers’ Rights Directing Attorney
Reports to: Executive Director
Bargaining Unit: No
Type: Full Time
Position Summary and Responsibilities
Centro Legal’s Workers’ Rights Practice provides comprehensive legal services to low-wage
workers facing wage theft, discrimination, retaliation, and other violations of workplace rights.
Centro Legal also works closely with worker organizers and worker centers to offer legal services
and legal rights education in support of collective efforts to improve working conditions and
build worker power.
The Workers’ Rights Directing Attorney reports to the Executive Director and leads the
organization’s Workers’ Rights Practice.
Primary responsibilities will include:
● Overseeing the provision of direct legal services, including the design and
implementation of systems for case management, quality control, and data tracking;
● Training, mentoring, supervising, and supporting ongoing development of a diverse
staff of attorneys, advocates, volunteers, and interns;
● Developing and advancing program strategy in collaboration with the other members of
the workers’ rights practice;
● Working in partnership with Centro Legal’s Litigation Director to identify cases and
oversee workers’ rights litigation, including employment class actions, multi-plaintiff
wage and hour cases, and discrimination lawsuits;
● Managing independent caseload consisting of limited and full scope legal representation
for low-wage workers facing wage theft, discrimination, retaliation, and other workplace
● As part of the Senior Management Team, assisting Executive Director with growth and
development of the organization, including through leadership in occasional strategic
projects to support organizational priorities;
● Leading the practice’s budgeting and fundraising efforts, including preparation of the
annual budget, grant applications, and grant reports;
● Building and strengthening administrative infrastructure of the program to ensure
relevant and efficient protocols;
● Tracking, analyzing, and reporting data on program metrics, including case and outreach
● Overseeing relationships with worker centers and other community partners to provide
technical assistance, legal education, outreach, and direct legal services;
● Overseeing collaborative work with local, regional, and state partners on policy
initiatives, funding, and strategic litigation efforts;
● Serving as a media contact and expert spokesperson for Centro Legal’s workers’ rights
practice, as needed.
First and foremost, the applicant must profoundly share Centro Legal’s mission and vision of
social justice. Below are additional qualifications:
● JD, admitted and in good standing with the California Bar;
● Minimum of 5 years of relevant experience in employment law or direct legal services
(8+ years preferred);
● Substantial experience with Berman hearings, plaintiff-side employment litigation, and
mediation strongly preferred;
● Strong leadership skills and experience managing legal services staff;
● Fluency in Spanish;
● Excellent writing, research, analytical, and verbal communication skills;
● Demonstrated ability to work cooperatively on projects with lawyers, other staff
members, and diverse community organizations;
● Knowledge and adherence to community and movement lawyering principles;
● Demonstrated commitment to civil liberties, workers’ rights, and public interest law;
● Demonstrated commitment to diversity within the office and a personal approach that
values all individuals and respects differences regarding race, ethnicity, age, gender
identity and expression, sexual orientation, religion, ability, socio-economic
circumstance, immigration status, and record of arrest or conviction.
Compensation and Benefits:
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience ranging from $101,000 to $115,000.
We provide a generous benefits package, including life insurance, LTD, leave policies, vacation,
and December holiday office closure at full pay.
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Applicants
are encouraged to apply as soon as possible. To apply, send a brief cover letter, resume, and list
of three professional references by email to [email protected]. Include “Workers’ Rights
Directing Attorney” in the subject line.
POSITION OPEN UNTIL FILLED