The California Court of Appeal, First Appellate District, located in San Francisco, is accepting applications for immediate and future staff attorney vacancies. Regular full-time Appellate Court Attorney positions will be staffed at Level B, Level C, Level D, or Senior commensurate with the qualifications of the selected individuals as set forth below. Applicants advancing in the selection process will be required to complete a timed, in-house writing exercise.
• Assist in the drafting of bench memoranda and proposed opinions in assigned cases and review memoranda and opinions in cases assigned to justices of the Court of Appeal;
• Carefully and accurately review, evaluate, and analyze appellate briefs, trial records, and other documents;
• Thoroughly conduct independent research of existing law, legal issues, legislative history, and intent of particular statutes;
• Draft and edit clear, concise, and well-organized memoranda and proposed opinions within assigned deadlines;
• Make written and oral recommendations regarding the resolution of legal issues before the court;
• Work on writ matters including petitions for writ of habeas corpus, prohibition and mandate, and writ petitions from Workers’ Compensation and Public Utilities Commissions matters; and
• Perform other related work as required.
All levels require active membership in the State Bar of California.
In addition to the requirement set forth above:
Level B: Equivalent to two years of post-bar legal experience.
Level C: Equivalent to three years of post-bar legal experience; or one year of experience as an appellate attorney, Level B, with the judicial branch.
Level D: Equivalent to four years of post-bar legal experience; or one year of experience as an appellate attorney, Level C, with the judicial branch.
Senior: Equivalent to six years of post-bar legal experience; or two years of experience as an appellate attorney, Level D, with the Judicial Branch.
Work experience as a law clerk to a federal judge after passing a state bar but prior to formal state bar admission will be considered equivalent to post-bar legal experience.
Exceptional research, analytical, and writing skills; broad and practical knowledge of the law; familiarity with appellate practice; mature and sound judgment; and ability to work cooperatively with other members of the staff and court. Ability to discuss issues thoroughly and to work independently while welcoming supervision and editing of one’s work product. Broad working knowledge of both criminal and civil law.
Additional experience in excess of the minimum qualifications in the practice of law with experience as a judicial staff attorney, appellate practitioner, or comparable position emphasizing legal writing and analysis, and experience in exercising adjudicatory (as opposed to solely advocacy) skills.
Please note: If you are selected for hire, verification of employment eligibility or authorization to work in the United States will be required.
How To Apply
In order to be considered, please submit an application and a response to the supplemental questionnaire. The First Appellate District requires that you include a resume with your application. To ensure earliest consideration, please apply by October 11, 2021; however, this position will remain open until filled.
Your application will remain active for twelve months from the application submission date (even if the job announcement is no longer posted). After the twelve months have expired, you should reapply to be considered for a vacancy.
1. Please click the APPLY for JOB button above to apply online. Please include your response to the supplemental questionnaire and attach your resume.
2. Options for obtaining the employment application:
• Please download a copy from the Careers page on our website under the Tips for Job Applicants section, or
• Visit the Court of Appeal, First Appellate District, Reception, 350 McAllister Street, San Francisco, CA 94102 between the hours of 9:00 AM – 4:30 PM, or
• Contact the First District Court of Appeal, Human Resources at 415-865-7369.
Please submit your completed application, response to the supplemental questionnaire, and resume to the following address:
First District Court of Appeal
Attn: Human Resources, Req. #: 5405
350 McAllister Street
San Francisco, CA 94102
The Court of Appeal, First Appellate District provides reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities who request such accommodation. Reasonable accommodation needs should be requested through Human Resources at 415-865-7369 or Telecommunications Device for the Deaf at 415-865-4272.
To better assess the qualifications of each applicant, we ask that you respond to the following questions. Your response should be no more than two pages in length.
1. Are you an active member of the State Bar of California or any other state? Please list admissions date(s) & state(s).
2. Please identify the number of years of post-bar legal experience you possess.
3. Independent research, analysis and writing on complex legal issues is required in this position to assist the court in researching and drafting appellate opinions in a wide variety of matters. Describe your experience performing comparable work.
4. Please explain why you are interested in this position.
Pay and Benefits
Level B: $7,651 to $9,722 per month
Level C: $8,413 to $10,690 per month
Level D: $9,685 to $12,923 per month
Senior: $10,960 to $14,628 per month
Highlights of our current benefits package include:
– Health/Dental/Vision benefits program
– CalPERS Retirement Plan
– Basic Life and AD&D Insurance
– FlexElect Program
– Long Term Disability (employee paid/optional)
– Group Legal Plan (employee paid/optional)
– Choice of Annual Leave or Sick/Vacation Leave
– 13 paid holidays per calendar year
– 1 personal holiday per year
– Transit pass subsidy
– 401(k) and 457 deferred compensation plans
– Employee Assistance Program
Equal Employment Opportunity
The First District Court of Appeal is an Equal Opportunity Employer.