Kerwin Associates is partnering with an exciting, privately-held (Series D) company with a leading payment processing platform. They are searching for their first lead Commercial attorney to report to the General Counsel. As the 3rd attorney on this small, dynamic team, you will be tasked to develop the commercial function and scale a team to support the company’s growing business. In this critical and strategic role, you will have the opportunity to make a large impact on the company’s bottom line.
If you are easy to work with, and want to work in a fun, fast-growing company, this is the role for you.
- Lead all commercial matters for the company.
- Work with partners, customers and vendors to review, draft, and negotiate a variety of commercial agreements, specifically partnership and customer contracts.
- Provide concise and business-focused legal advice on payments law impacting the company’s contractual relationships.
- Develop the legal commercial team and legal operations to help automate and scale the function, including creating and improving agreement templates, trainings, processes, and other resources.
- Ensure contract terms and conditions are consistent with internal policies and goals.
- Work with and advise all business units on relevant legal issues and risks, complex agreement structures, approval processes, and company policies and procedures.
- Provide legal and regulatory guidance on new products and services and expand business relationships.
- Instruct and manage outside counsel, as necessary.
- Handle other matters as required to support the business.
- JD and good standing with at least one state bar.
- 6 to 10 years of experience practicing in-house or at a reputable law firm.
- At least 3 years working in or advising companies in the payments, fintech or financial services space.
- Direct experience drafting and negotiating commercial contracts, particularly within the payments, fintech and/or SAAS space
- Proven ability to proactively support sales and business development teams and direct all aspects of the contract management cycle.
- Must possess strong communication skills and be able to distill complex legal issues into understandable language.
- Ability to summarize and communicate legal concepts clearly and effectively.
- Able to operate at a strategic level and demonstrate the value of legal compliance.
- Proven track record of providing creative and timely complex contract solutions that further a company’s business objectives
- A keen sense of ownership, and highly adaptable to a fast-changing environment
- A solid business focus with practical risk awareness and creative problem-solving skills.
- Experience with relevant regulatory regimes is a plus.
Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] for more information.