WLAC/Rhoda and Judge Stuart Hing Scholarship
Women Lawyers of Alameda County is pleased to announce the formation of a new annual scholarship!
Due the generosity of the Stuart and Rhoda Hing Charitable Trust, WLAC will be awarding one $5,000 Scholarship to a law student, to be presented by The Honorable Stuart Hing and Rhoda Hing at the WLAC Annual Judges’ Dinner, which will be held this year on October 4, 2018, at Scott’s Seafood Restaurant in Jack London Square, Oakland, California. As an attorney, Judge Hing was a Board member of WLAC, and even after his appointment to the Alameda County Superior Court in 2008, continued to serve for almost a decade as a judicial liaison to the Board. This Scholarship represents a continuing commitment to diversity, inclusion, and equality, values shared by WLAC and the Stuart and Rhoda Hing Charitable Trust.
The ideal candidate for this Scholarship is:
2. A law student2;
3. An individual with a demonstrated commitment to advocating for issues impacting women and/or the advancement of women in the legal profession;
4. Engaged in a leadership role in her/his/their community or demonstrates significant leadership potential;
5. Actively engaged in the Alameda County legal community; and
1 Has two or more intersecting background factors: e.g. gender, race, ethnicity, class, gender identity, sexual orientation, etc.
2 Has completed at least one year of law school and is currently in good standing.
Interested candidates should email the following submissions to email@example.com, with the subject line “WLAC/Hing Scholarship Application”:
1. An official law school transcript (including proof of good standing);
2. A current resume or curriculum vitae;
3. A personal statement of NO MORE THAN TWO DOUBLE-SPACED PAGES, addressing why the candidate exemplifies the description above; and
4. A statement confirming availability to attend the WLAC Annual Judges’ Dinner on October 4, 2018, at Scott’s Seafood Restaurant (Oakland). A ticket to the Dinner will be provided to the chosen scholarship recipient.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: SEPTEMBER 1, 2018